Travel Fuels Life Podcast and Show Notes
Planning a Visit to America's National Parks (Ep. 14)
It's time to start planning out your Spring and Summer vacations, and if you're planning to see some national parks in the United States, I've got a special guest who has a wealth of knowledge on the subject. His name is John Tillison and he spent 20 years as a park ranger, helping maintain our parks, informing visitors through interpretive programs, and through law enforcement. John started a blog a couple years ago helping people get concise and targeted information about our 418 nationally managed park destinations and 61 official national parks.
We'll talk about:
- Taking advantage of Winter in Spokane and Yosemite
- Denali and dog sledding
- How John became a park ranger and the best ways now
- The day to day of a park ranger
- Brand ambassadorship with Madera County and Yosemite National Park
- Things related to the National Parks in surrounding counties
- RVs, camping vs on-site lodges and hotels outside the park
- The traveling blogging couple Tammi Lee Tips Blog
- How John got into blogging about national parks
- What information that is available for planning on the Park Ranger John website
- Helpful information about camping, hiking, finding wi-fi, using generators, etc.
- Access issues to certain parks (shuttle busses and how to get around)
- What is too much information and what is the right information
- Overtourism in the parks
- June, July and August are not the only months to visit, try the shoulder months
- Social media's effect on the parks (Arches and the super moon)
- Parks that we should be going to (Wrangell-St. Elias National Park in Alaska)
- The difference between national parks, national monuments, historic sites, etc.
- The uniqueness of Canyon de Chelly National Monument
- The non-outdoorsy person adapting to the outdoors and how to pack
- What to do in North Dakota (Theodore Roosevelt National Park and Knife River Indian Village)
- Wildlife encounters and dealing with bears!
- The odd battle of Ninety-Six
- America The Beautiful Pass to the national parks
Other pages John recommends:
- Article on how to become a park ranger https://www.parkrangerjohn.
- 13 Hikes in Zion https://www.parkrangerjohn.
- Winter recreation in Yosemite National Park https://www.parkrangerjohn.