What you don't know can sometimes lead to awkward situations, unnecessary issues, or even expensive mistakes. Before I took off on a long drive across Europe, I filled my itinerary with some additional notes to make sure I was prepared with each country border I crossed. Here are some of the important items of note for a trip to Germany.
- At Restaurants: 10–15 percent to the waiter or bartender—just add it to the bill.
- At Hotels: One to three euros per bag for the porter; five euros per night for the housekeeper; 20 euros for a helpful concierge.
- Average Gas Price: 1.25€
Language / Keyphrases
- Hello / Good Morning: Hallo (ha low) / Guten Morgen (goo tin more gan)
- Goodbye: Auf Widersehen
- Thank you: Danke
- I would like...: I ch mochte (ichh mo ch tuh)
- Yes, please: ja bitte (yah bi tah)
- Check please: